The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) just announced this year’s CHED Scholarship Program 2020 (CSP 2020). Every year, they hold a scholarship program to Filipino students who are able to pass the qualifications as well as the documentary requirements that go along with it.
What is the CHED Scholarship Program?
As per the Republic Act (R.A.) No. 7722, the CHED has the directive to provide and give some sort of financial assistance to Filipino students through different scholarships.
Students who are deserving and qualified are the ones who are recommended to apply. The CHED prefers the assistance to:
- Homeless and Underprivileged citizens (under R.A. 7279)
- Persons with Disability (PWDs) (Under R.A. 7277, as amended)
- Solo Parents/Single Parents with/and/or their dependents (under R.A. 8972)
- Senior Citizens (under R.A. 9994); and
- Indigenous People (under R.A. 8371)
Students who will pass the qualifications may be awarded half scholarship or full scholarship under the Private Education Financial Assistance (PESFA) and teh State Scholarship Program (SSP).
Similar to other types of scholarships, the CHED Scholarship Program 2020 requires eligible students of the following eligibility requirements:
- Must be a Filipino citizen
- Should have a General Weighted Average (GWA) of at least 90% or above
- High school graduates or graduating high school students
- Parents and/or guardians combined annual gross incomes not going above four hundred thousands pesos (P400,000.00)
- Solo parent or guardian whose gross annual income doesn’t exceed the same amount
- Only one government funded financial assistance program
NOTE: The CHED, in exceptional cases, might allow income of parents/guardians to be over P400,000.00.
Applicants who belong in special groups such as the recommended by CHED to take the scholarship must present identification cards (IDs) or any form of document that proves their situation.
If you clearly go over the eligibility requirements, then it’s time for you to be aware of the documentary requirements that CHED asks for. Here are the documentary requirements interested applicants of the CHED Scholarship Program 2020 need to submit:
- Latest Income Tax Return (ITR) of parents or guardians (only if employed)
- Certificate of Indigency from the barangay if indigenous
- Certificate of the Tax Exemption from the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR)
- The latest copy of the proof of income or the contract copy (for children of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and Seafarers)
- Certificate or the Case Study from the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD)
- Duly certified true and legitimate copy of grades from the 11th Grade or the 1st semester of the 12th Grade (for high school graduating students)
- High school report card (original and photocopy)
Certified true copy of the PSA-certified Birth Certificate.
Priority courses as identified by CHED
Should you be interested in taking the CHED Scholarship Program 2020, you should enroll in any of these priority courses as identified by CHED. You can check the complete list of the priority courses by clicking here.
The process for the application for the CHED Scholarship Program 2020 is easy. As per the guidelines, the process could be done in either of the following ways of submission:
- Walk-in applications or hand carry
- Email applications
- Courier service applications
Now that the three (3) methods are clear, here’s how it should be done:
- The applicant would need to submit the duly accomplished application form, as well as the documentary requirements to the CHED Regional Office (CHEDRO) where the previous school they graduated from are based;
- Email application – the applicant should submit the form together with all the required documentation. It should be in the PDF Format.
- CHEDRO officials will then validate and evaluate the application and the ranks as per the qualified applicants;
- Once everything is finalized, the CHEDRO will then send a Notice of Award (NoA) to each individual to notify them about the list of awardees through their Higher Education Institutions (HEIs)
- The applicants would receive and signify the NoA by affixing his or her signature or specimen on the return slip. Then, he or she would submit the same to the CHEDRO either via hard copy or electronic copy; it should be done within thirty (30) working days from the date of the receipt of the NoA;
- Should an applicant wish to waive the NoA, it should be signified by affixing his or her signature on the slip as well as the word WAIVED and submit it to the CHEDRO in question.
NOTE: The release of funds for the stipend and the TOSF would be within fifteen (15) days after the issuance of the NoA. No need for you to ask for follow ups because should you be accepted, you will receive a notification from CHED.
The Financial Benefit
Congratulations if you’ve passed the application for the CHED Scholarship Program 2020. Now, what do you get out of the scholarship program? As per the CHED’s table of financial benefit package, here’s how it would look like:
Type of Program
Other School Fees
State Scholarship Program (SSP)
|Free as per R.A. 10931||P20,000.00||P20,000.00|
|Full||Free as per R.A. 10931||
Private Education Student Financial Assistance
What you should do to maintain scholarship?
As per the guidelines mandated by the CHED, a scholar is required to have the following responsibilities to keep the scholarship:
- Must enroll in any recognized priority programs of State Universities and Colleges (SUCs), Private Higher Education Institutions (PHEIs) with Certificate of Program Compliance (COPCs);
- Maintenance of the GWA of at least 80 percent or its equivalent for half scholars and 85 percent for full scholars;
- Must complete a degree program within the time frame required on the curriculum;
- Should carry regular load per term or semester as determined regular by the HEIs; and
- Must secure written approval of the CHEDRO concerned in the case of HEI transfer or shift to another authorized or recognized priority programs.
You can check out more of these guidelines here.
Deadline of application
Are you showing interests of applying for the CHED Scholarship Program 2020? If so, then do note that the official start of the application period is on the 1st of March, 2020 an the deadline of the application would be on the 31st of May 2020.
Applications that would exceed the deadline would neither be entertained nor accepted.
You can contact the service representatives of CHED by calling their hotline numbers at (02) 8988-000. Alternatively, you can choose to shoot them an email at [email protected]
Are you intrigued by the new CHED Scholarship Program 2020? Do you ever yearn to have some sort of a financial assistance coming from the country’s education commission? Don’t hesitate to contact them if you have any inquiries about the scholarship.