Notably, Filipinos are known for their proficiency in the English language. In fact, according to PhilStar, the Philippines managed to place in the world’s top 20 English Proficiency Index in the year 2020.
Despite the fact that the number of nations in the index fluctuated, the Philippines managed to stay in the top 15 from 2016 to 2018, placing 13th, 15th, and 14th, respectively. In 2018, 88 countries were included, compared to 72 in 2016.
When the index was expanded to include a total of 100 countries in 2019, the Philippines dropped in the six spots from the previous year, but still managed to stay in the Top 20.
As such, the Ministry of Education (MOE) in Taiwan launched the Taiwan Foreign English Teacher Program (TFETP) intended to recruit foreign English teachers and teaching personnel in their country.
This is in lieu with their attempt to cater power in their education sector and make English as their secondary language by the year 2030.
The Department of Labor and Employment said this in a statement specifying the 450 available teaching positions to foreigners specifically in primary and secondary public schools for the current year 2022.
Base on a record of the Taiwan National Immigration Agency, a total of 193 Filipino teachers are in their country as of 2021.
If accepted, the teachers under this TFETP are bound to receive NT$ 62,720 as their salary per month with the equivalent of 115, 122. 25 in Philippine peso. Aside from this, they can also get various benefits which to name are:
Read: BIR Hiring
- The program offers reimbursements every school year of one’s economy class airfare of coming and leaving Taiwan (one time for each). The reimbursements are on an actual expense basis and are capped at NT$40,000/one-way. Only flights departing from or arriving at the nearest airport to the place of residence indicated on one’s passport can be reimbursed. One accompanying family member (spouse or lineal blood relative) is provided with reimbursements every school year of economy class airfare, on an actual expense basis and capped at NT$80,000 for round-trip and NT$40,000 for one-way.\
- The contract employer should offer a housing allowance if accommodations cannot be provided. An individual is provided with a housing allowance of NT$5,000 per month while a family is provided with NT$10,000 per month.
- Teachers who have worked for a school year and have been graded A in annual performance are given an extra month’s pay as a bonus; teachers who have worked for a school year and have been graded B are given an extra 1/2 month’s pay as a bonus.
- For elementary school, each period is NT$400; for junior high school, each period is NT$450.
Health Insurance and Labor Insurance
- Health insurance and labor insurance are provided.
Be reminded, however, that the rates will vary depending on the teacher’s highest educational attainment.
Monthly Salary (Depending on teaching experience)
- Holders of a bachelor’s degree: NT$ 62,720~78,045.
- Holders of a master’s degree: NT$ 69,965~86,820.
- Holders of a doctoral degree: NT$ 73,025~91,420.
In terms of qualifications, the applicants must possess the following criteria:
- The official or common language of the nation (as the nationality shown on the passport) where the applicant is from must be English. Identification of the official or common language of a nation is issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of China (Taiwan).
- Hold a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited university or college.
- Hold a state-issued teaching license or certificate.
- The applicant should provide a criminal record certificate/police check issued after January 1, 2022 from relevant authorities in his or her home country or the country he or she currently resides in. The certificate must include the name of the applicant, the date of issuance, and state that the applicant has no criminal record.
- If the applicant has dual nationality (ROC Taiwan citizen and other foreign nationality), please use the foreign nationality to apply.
In terms of documentary requirements, the applicants must prepare:
- Please provide a copy of your passport with photo and personal information.
- Applicants should obtain a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited university or college.
State-Issued Teaching License/Certificate
- Applicants should obtain a valid state-issued teaching license or certificate.
Police Check/Police Clearance Certificate
- The applicant should provide a criminal record certificate/police check issued after January 1, 2022 from competent authorities in his or her home country or the country he or she currently resides in.
The following are some reminders to facilitate your application process.
- The application system only accepts pdf format files. Please convert your documents to pdf format for uploading.
- Please make sure the scanned/photographed copy of your documents meets the following requirements:
- The scanned/photographed copy must be CLEAR and LEGIBLE with good image resolution;
- The scanned/photographed copy must be from the original and in color;
- Documents must be scanned at the original size;
- Documents must be placed on a flat and plain background when photographed;
- Information must not be obstructed (for example, by your fingers, a shadow, or reflections);
- The scanned/photographed copy must be complete with no part of the document missing.
Applications are open until March 31, 2022. To apply, you may click this link
Source: PhilStar, GMA News, Taiwan-Foreign English Teacher Program