The Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) program is a U.S. Department of State-sponsored initiative that provides opportunities for young educators (not more than seven years of teaching experience) from around the world to teach their native languages and cultures in U.S. colleges and universities.
The program aims to enhance foreign language instruction in the United States and promote mutual understanding between people from different countries.
FLTA participants are selected through a competitive application process, and once accepted into the program, they are assigned to various U.S. academic institutions for an academic year (nine months).
As teaching assistants, they work alongside experienced faculty members and provide language instruction, cultural exchange, and support to students learning their native languages.
The FLTA program offers participants the chance to improve their English language skills, gain teaching experience, and develop a deeper understanding of American society and culture.
While serving as teaching assistants, FLTAs are also encouraged to engage in professional development activities, attend classes, and interact with their American peers.
The program also provides orientations and support services to help FLTAs adjust to their new environment and make the most of their experience.
Here’s a good news for you, Fulbright Philippines has announced in their Facebook account that the application for 2024-2025 Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) Program is now open for applications!
Who can apply for this program?
To be considered, applicants must be able to satisfy the following eligibility requirements. One must:
- be a Filipino citizen;
- be a teachersof English, or in training to become teacher of English, based outside of Metro Manila;
- be residing in the Philippines throughout the nomination and selection process;
- possess the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor’s degree with a good academic record; Master’s degrees are highly desirable at many institutions;
- be fluent in English. A score of no less than 90 (iBT) on the TOEFL is required;
- be able to demonstrate maturity, dependability, integrity and professionalism;
- be energetic, early career educators capable of succeeding in the dual role of being a teaching assistant and a student;
- return to the Philippines upon completion of the nine-month program;
- be no younger than 23 and no older than 29 years of age at the time of application. The FLTA Program does not provide J-2 sponsorship for dependents.
What are the benefits under the program?
FLTA program is a full scholarship grant where scholars receive a stipend, health insurance coverage, and other benefits to support their living expenses during their stay in the United States.
What are the necessary documentary requirments?
Upon submission, applicants must prepare the following documents.
- Completed online application at https://apply.iie.org/flta2024;
- Official or certified transcript of records from all colleges/universities attended;
- Certified true copy of diploma (not original);
- Three letters of reference (forms are found on the online application);
- Letter of Institutional Support (should come from the University Head/Chancellor/University President/VP for Academic Affairs) printed on an official school letterhead – this letter should state that the university is aware of and supports your participation in the Fulbright FLTA program. It should indicate that you will be granted an official leave, preferably with pay, from the institution and will resume your teaching status in the university upon completion of your program in the United States;
- Supplemental forms;
- Copy of passport;
- TOEFL or IELTS score report (if available).
Application Deadline: October 13, 2023
How to file your application?
This image was taken from Fulbright Philippines.
Source: Fulbright Philippines
DISCLAIMER: All of our scholarship articles are for informational purposes only. We are not directly related to the entities being featured. The source/s are indicated at the end of every article so you can further check the legitimacy of our posts.