Japan’s allure as a destination for cultural exchange and teaching opportunities continues to grow, and the 2024 Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Programme is set to further enrich this tradition. With its focus on hiring Assistant Language Teachers (ALTs), the JET Programme offers an exceptional platform for individuals to immerse themselves in Japanese culture while contributing to the nation’s language education.
The Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Programme, established in 1987, holds great significance in Japan’s efforts to promote internationalization, cross-cultural understanding, and English language education. The program brings together participants from around the world to work in Japanese schools, local governments, and communities. The primary goal is to enhance foreign language education, primarily English, by providing native speakers to assist Japanese educators.
Assistant Language Teachers (ALTs) play a vital role in the JET Programme. They work alongside Japanese teachers in elementary, junior high, and high schools, focusing on improving students’ English language skills. While ALTs are not the primary instructors, their presence provides students with authentic exposure to English pronunciation, conversation, and cultural nuances.
Perhaps the most profound aspect of the JET Programme is its capacity to foster cultural exchange and mutual understanding. ALTs become cultural ambassadors, breaking down linguistic and cultural barriers. They promote open dialogue, dispelling stereotypes and building bridges of friendship between Japan and their home countries.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF ALTs:
The 2024 Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Programme presents an exceptional opportunity for individuals seeking a transformative experience in Japan. Central to this program are the Assistant Language Teachers (ALTs), whose responsibilities are crucial in shaping the language and cultural education landscape in Japanese schools.
- Assisting in the preparation of teaching materials;
- Planning and supervising extracurricular activities for students, such as English club or sport activities;
- Organizing cultural or international exchange programs.
Japan’s 2024 Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Programme offers a unique and enriching opportunity for individuals to become Assistant Language Teachers (ALTs) and immerse themselves in the vibrant culture of Japan. To embark on this remarkable journey, it is crucial to understand the eligibility requirements set forth by the JET Programme. These requirements serve as the foundation for selecting candidates who will contribute meaningfully to Japan’s education system and foster cross-cultural exchange. One must:
- be interested in Japan and be willing to deepen their knowledge and appreciation of Japan after their arrival;
- be motivated to participate in and initiate international exchange activities in the local community;
- make effort to study or continue studying the Japanese language prior to and after arriving in Japan;
- be both mentally and physically healthy;
- be willing and able to adapt to living and working in Japan;
- be determined to responsibly complete their period of participation;
- hold a Bachelor’s degree or higher, or obtain such qualifications by the designated arrival date;
- be a Filipino citizen;
- be adept in contemporary standard pronunciation, rhythm and intonation in English and possess excellent language ability that can be applied accurately and appropriately;
- have the ability to form sentences in a comprehensive and logical manner;
- not have participated on the Programme since the 2021 JET Programme year (inclusive of April 2020 arrivals) or have participated on the Programme for more than 6 years in total;
- not have declined a position on the Programme after receiving notification of assignment in the previous JET Programme year (excluding cases where it is accepted that the Participant had a valid, inevitable reason for withdrawing);
- not have lived in Japan for 6 or more years in total since 2014
have a desire to proactively maintain relations with Japan, even after completion of the Programme;
- agree to reside in Japan under the status of residence stipulated in Article 2-2 of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act;
- be willing to obey all Japanese laws;
- have finished their period of probation by the time they submit their application form for applicants with a suspended jail term;
- be interested in the Japanese education system, particularly foreign language education in Japan;
- be interested in working with children;
- be qualified as a language teacher or be strongly motivated to take part in the teaching of foreign languages.
- Taiwan is hiring English Teachers and Teaching Assistants under Taiwan Foreign English Teacher Program (TFETP)
Additional evaluation points will be given to applicants who:
- Have a bachelor’s degree or higher in English or Education;
- Have a professional language teaching license and/or experience (especially in classroom setting);
- Have a general teaching experience or qualifications;
- Have a Japanese language background (JLPT passer) and/or Japan study background;
- Have experience traveling/living in foreign countries.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: NOVEMBER 17, 2023 FRIDAY
How to apply?
The 2024 Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Programme presents an exciting opportunity for individuals eager to embark on a journey of cultural exchange and education in Japan. Becoming an Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) through the JET Programme is a rewarding endeavor, but the application process requires careful consideration and preparation. In doing so, kindly visit the Embassy of Japan in the Philippines via this link for more comprehensive information.
The 2024 Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Programme stands as a testament to Japan’s commitment to internationalization, cultural exchange, and English language education. Through the recruitment of Assistant Language Teachers (ALTs), the program enriches the lives of participants while benefiting Japanese students and communities. ALTs contribute to English language education and cultural exchange, leaving a lasting legacy of mutual understanding and global cooperation. This initiative embodies the power of education and cultural exchange in fostering a more interconnected and harmonious world.
Disclaimer: All of our job hiring articles are for informational purposes only. We are not directly related to the entities being featured. The source/s are indicated at the end of every article so you can further check the legitimacy of our posts.