The driver’s license is one of the most legitimate and effective forms of identification in the country. So, it is just imperative to ensure that your driver’s license is always valid to avoid any hints of violation; you have to renew it when it expires.
If you aren’t aware, the validity of the driver’s license has been extended up to a maximum of five (5) years.
But were you aware that you can have an advanced renewal of your driver’s license?
Advance renewal of driver’s license
Many people are not aware of the fact that they can renew their driver’s license in advance. To be more specific, it can be done not more than sixty (60) days from the birth date of the driver.
Furthermore, the license can be renewed given the fact that the license hasn’t been expired for ten (10) years or more.
What requirements are needed for the advance renewal of driver’s license?
The documentation people need in renewing their driver’s license do not stray far from the regular renewal.
Here are the requirements for the advance renewal of driver’s license:
- Duly Accomplished Application Form for Driver’s License or (ADL)
- Electronically transmitted medical examination certificates.
- Driver’s License Card (Non-Professional Driver’s License (NPDL) or Professional Driver’s License (PDL)).
If leaving abroad, you will be required to submit both the original copy and the photocopy of the following:
- True copy of the Certificate of Employment (COE) and/or the Contract
- Plane Ticket
- Passport with a Valid Visa
Where can I have an advance renewal for my driver’s license?
One of the good things about the advance driver’s license renewal is that it can be done in any licensing center.
Yes, it can be done in any of the available licensing centers in the country. The licensing center, however, should have driver’s license (DL) transactions because some only have windows for inquiries and payments.
How soon can a person have an advance renewal of driver’s license?
According to the Land Transportation Office’s (LTO’s) guidelines, a license holder may have an advance driver’s license renewal, on or before, but not earlier than sixty (60) days, from the date of birth of the license holder.
The plane ticket, proof of visa, and Certificate of Employment (COE) abroad would be needed if the renewal is going to be done in one (1) year or less.
What is the procedure on the advance driver’s license renewal?
Don’t worry and just relax; we will take you step-by-step on what the process is on how you license holders can have an advance renewal of driver’s license renewal.
- Once you are at the respective LTO Office, proceed to the Customer Service Counter and get a checklist of requirements.
- Then, you need to get yourself a Driver’s License Application Form (ADL). This form is available for download, you can download it here.
- Get a queue number and wait for your number to be called to avoid inappropriate lines and turns.
- When your number is called, you then have to proceed to the evaluator counter to submit all the required documents (we listed them above) and have it checked for completeness and authenticity (for verification).
- Proceed to the photo-taking and signature area to have your picture and signature taken. Do not proceed there without your name being called because it will mess up the queue.
- Once all of those are done, proceed to the cashier when your name is called. This now is the part when you have to pay for the necessary fees; you will then obtain an Official Receipt (OR).
- Now, go to the Releasing Counter, present the Official Receipt. You can then claim the card type license.
- After so, you will be required to write your name and affix your signature in the appropriate Released Form for proof that you were able to claim the card type license (if it is available).
Note: You can finish the Application form for Driver’s License (ADL) before you go to the respective office for renewing.
How much is the renewal fee?
No mention of it having extra charges were stated in the LTO website. However, the charges for the driver’s license renewal is:
A total of P652.63; the fee for the renewal is P585.00 and the computer fee is P67.63. That is applicable for both a non-professional driver’s license and a professional driver’s license.
Penalties, on the other hand, if the license is expired for one (1) day to one (1) year expired is P75.00 which would bring the total to P727.63.
From a year and one (1) day up to two (2) years, however, has a penalty fee of P150.00, this brings the total to P802.63.
Lastly, if the license has been expired for more than two (2) years, the penalty would be P225.00 which brings the total to P1,045.26.
So as you may have noticed, the total price that you would have to settle will almost be double the original price if you do late renewal.
What benefits do advance driver’s license renewal impose to the public?
We won’t be suggesting negative things, of course. But if you’re still unsure, here are the primary benefits if you renew your driver’s license in advance.
Seeing that having a late renewal of driver’s license would impose penalties, one of the benefits of renewing your driver’s license in advance is primarily to avoid all those penalties.
Time, effort, and money saver
Another would be the fact that it will save a lot of time; it can save you the stress of thinking about driving without a valid driver’s license-whether it is a non-pro license or a professional license.
What do you think about the idea of an advance renewal of driver’s license? Is this beneficial to everyone who is a license holder? Could this impose societal benefits to the state and to citizens?
Don’t wait for your license to be expired; action it right away! Take advantage of the fact that you can have an advance renewal of driver’s license and save yourself time, effort, and stress! It doesn’t have any extra fees for doing so anyway.