Japan is one of the first few options Filipinos choose when it comes to job opportunities. Other than the geographical location and its proximity to the country; they also offer lucrative pay, even for some jobs that don’t require much skill.
Just recently, the Japan Exchange and Teaching or the JET program launched their most updated program for the year 2021. It’s a program that tackles on teaching language, helping both countries work well with each other.
What is the JET Program?
The Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) program is a program that has been existent since 1987. This is a program that aims to help and assist the relationship of the Philippines and Japan; also when it comes to other languages that Japanese people are fond of.
By definition, it is the program that helps ” deepen mutual understanding between the people of Japan and those of other countries through foreign language exchange and cultural immersion at the local level.”
In case you’re not aware, last year, the program had a total of 5,761 participants. Our country was included in that and in fact, there’s a total of 154 Filipino participants in the JET program ever since it started.
Read Related: Study in Japan Through Scholarship For Teacher Training
Last year, records have shown that a total of fifty-two (52) participants were accepted in the Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) area; and one in the Coordinator for Internal Relations or CIR; this grew from just 2 ALTs in the year 2014.
Applying for the Assistant Language Teacher or ALT
This is one of the main job posts that Filipinos are applying for. An ALT or an Assistant Language Teacher is a teacher that would work in private and in public schools; or also educational local boards in a municipality they will be assigned to.
Tasks of ALTs
The most important and relevant roles of ALTs include:
- Communicate with the students in an effective manner
- Assist in classes led by English Teacher (Japanese)
- Carry out activities and lessons in the classroom; including extracurricular activities for students (possibly include English clubs or sporting activities)
- (In some cases) help with lesson planning
If you find this too vague, you can refer to the guide on the JET Program that they offer by clicking this link here.
JET 2021 Program Application Eligibility Requirements
Knowing the English language is not an enough proof that you’re eligible for the post. In fact, the eligibility requirements to be able to apply for the JET 2021 program include:
- Must be a Filipino citizen
- Must have NO experience living in Japan for six (6) or more years from 2010 or the years later
- Should be both physically and mentally fit to work abroad
- Must have an excellent command of the English language
- Must be exemplary in both reading and/or writing in English
- Should have teaching experience
- Should have a Bachelor’s degree or higher; or to have the qualifications on or before the arrival date
These are the things you need to make sure of before you take the application for the JET program for the year 2021.
If you see yourself passing all those requirements for eligibility, then you should now go on to the next step, which is the procedure of application.
Application Process For the JET 2021 Program
How do you apply for the JET program for the year 2021? What is the process you need to follow for your application not to be voided?
It’s actually simple; Japan, being one of the most advanced countries, made it to a point that people wouldn’t get too bored to apply.
- Download documents that are relevant to the post; these include:
- Carefully read the guidelines to learn more about the JET program, as well as the job duties and responsibilities of an ALT.
- Duly accomplish all of the forms; failure to do so can lead to delays, or worse – termination of your application
- Once done, send everything you have printed out via courier service to
Japan Information and Culture Center
Embassy of Japan in the Philippines (PH)
2627, Roxas Boulevard, Pasay City, 1300
NOTE: As per the Japanese Embassy in the Philippines, they’re accepting applications only via courier services. Due to the pandemic, they’re observing strict health protocols and measures to prevent any kind of incident that could be caused by it.
Deadline of Applications
**All applications for the program should be sent on or before the 8th of January 2021.
In case you’re one of the people looking to go abroad for a job; or if you dream in living in Japan, this might be your chance! The JET 2021 Program is open and it’s looking for qualified and eligible applications just like yourself!
Don’t hesitate to apply; don’t lose your chances of working and in living in Japan!