Just like other institutions, the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) offers some sort of assistance to those who need it. Their program, which is called the Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP), is open to those who are qualified.
Don’t worry because in this article, we will be guiding you how you can apply for OWWA’s Education for Development Scholarship Program or EDSP—what are the qualifications, documentary requirements, and how you can apply.
When is the deadline for the application for OWWA’s Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP)?
As per OWWA’s announcement, the deadline for the EDSP is usually on the first (1st) week of August. However, the recent announcement by OWWA said that the deadline for the submission of application for the EDSP is on the 30th of August 2019.
Just like any other scholarship, there are qualifications that students need to meet.
- Applicants must either be:
- A child of an active OWWA member at the time of application;
- A sibling of an active OWWA member at the time of application
- The applicant (dependent) must not be more than twenty-one (21) years old;
- Should pass the qualifying examination done by the Department of Science and Technology (DOST);
- The applicant must belong to the top 200 examination passers;
- Must have a General Weighted Average (GWA) of at least 80% and must belong to the upper 20% of their 3rd year or high school graduating class; and
- The applicant must pass the College Admission Test of the college or university he or she plans to enroll to.
Other than the qualifications, interested applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements for them to be able to apply:
- The applicant (dependent) must have not previously taken the Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP) by the OWWA department and/or any vocational/undergraduate/post-secondary college units;
- The dependent-applicant must not have any other active scholarship; and
- The scholarship grant is only applicable once per an OWWA active member’s family
Of course, the OWWA needs some proof or certification other than the fact that they’re looking for a family member of an active OWWA member.
Here are the documentary requirements interested applicants need to submit for their application to be processed.
- Two (2) 2×2 I.D. pictures
- Duly accomplished EDSP application form (two copies)
- Certificate of Good Moral Character from their previous school or learning institution
- PSA (formerly NSO)—certified birth certificate
- Form 137 – for incoming first (1st) year college students
- Transcript of Records (ToR) or Certificate of Grades – for those who are already in the college level
- Principal certification that the interested applicant was able to get a GWA of at least 80% and that he or she is belonging to the top 20% of their graduating class
Important details you need to consider:
Application for the Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP) is actually easy—what’s hard is the eligibility because if you don’t meet those, you won’t be able to apply.
If you know that you meet all of the requirements that the OWWA is looking for for their EDSP, then all you have to do is to prepare all of the documentary requirements that they are asking for.
- Make sure that you prepare all documentary requirements because applications with incomplete requirements will not be entertained and/or accepted.
- The applicant must be graduating at the time of the application.
- Application filing will start every June of each year. The deadline is on the first (1st) week of August of every year. This year, however, it’s on the 30th of August 2019.
- The approval for the Education for Development Scholarship Program only identified interested applicants who are eligible to take the exam conducted by the DOST.
What is the benefit of the EDSP?
This type of scholarship program or educational financial assistance would provide approved scholars sixty thousand pesos only (P60,000.00) per year. Yes, if the student is able to qualify then they can take the scholarship program again.
The examination is scheduled on the 20th of October 2019, and filing for exam is ongiong until 30th of August 2019.
Do you have an active OWWA member relative? Because if yes, you can take advantage of that and apply for the EDSP.
You can check out OWWA’s website at https://owwa.gov.ph for more information about their Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP).