Just like any other institution, the famous SM also has scholarship programs to individuals who have an interest in continuing their studies but do not have the capability to do so. Henry Sy, Sr., the founder of the most known retail brand here in the Philippines, said that the best defense against poverty is education and that is why SM will provide technical-vocational and college scholarship grants to those who want them.
You are young with the future before you. Remember the young boy who arrived in Manila many years ago, a stranger with nothing to his name… If I can do it, the young people of today can do it too.”
What is the SM College Scholarship?
The SM College Scholarship is a two-decade year old program that strongly gives life to their beliefs that the moment a family member graduates from college, that scholar can now then help his/her siblings to go to school to serve and life their families from poverty.
This type of scholarship offers many different programs and courses that students can choose from. In this article, we will be detailing what the SM College Scholarship offers, what it covers, what the specific programs and courses are, and literally whatever you need to know about the SM College Scholarship.
Are there certain qualifications for the SM College Scholarship Program?
If you are thinking that anyone can enter the SM College Scholarship, think again. There are qualifications that you need to meet. A particular potential scholar needs to:
- Be a fourth year Grade 12 public high school graduates from schools in certain areas covered who were able to finish Grade 10 and;
- Grade 12 students from private schools in the areas selected;
- With the Department of Education (DepEd) vouchers and;
- Grade 10 finishers from high schools (public high schools)
- General weighted average grade of at least 92% or its equivalent for Grade 12 – 1st semester
- Total household income of at most P250,000 per year.
What are the areas covered?
The areas covered who will be eligible for these would be the following.
NOTE: This will be based depending on the region in the country.
- Camarines Norte
- Camarines Sur
- Nueva Ecija
- Agusan del Norte
- Davao del Sur
- Misamis Oriental
- South Cotabato
- Zamboanga del Sur
- Negros Occidental
Is there at least a general average?
For both the fourth year (2nd or grading period) and the grade 12 (1st sem), the required general weighted average should be at least 92%. Scholars just have to maintain that figure and they sure can get into the program without breaking a sweat.
Last but definitely not least, the total household income should be at most P250,000.00 per year. This is the maximum but if yours is lower, you can at least try and get some sort of a waiver.
If you think that you fit the eligibility requirements, then it is best for you to know what the documentary requirements are.
Documentary requirements for the SM College Scholarship:
- Duly accomplished application form ;
- PSA-certified birth certificate;
- There should be documentary attachments to the application:
- Latest grade 12 or the 4th year report card
- Parent/Guardian’s Income Tax Return for 2017; Certificate of Indigency; Certification of non-filing of income
- 2×2 ID picture
- The sketch of the home/location to the nearest SM mall
What is included in the SM College Scholarship program?
Those who will be accepted in the SM College Scholarship program will be able to enjoy the following:
- Full tuition fee
- Part-time job opportunities during Christmas and sem breaks
- Free choice of specialization in any field offered
- Monthly allowance
- Fun and informative activities and developmental programs
- Job offers with the SM group when the scholar graduates
What are the courses offered in the SM College Scholarship program?
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Electronics and Communications Engineering/ Bachelor of Science (BS) in Electronics Engineering
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Computer Engineering
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Elementary Education
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Secondary Education major in Biology, General Sciences, English, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Accountancy
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Accounting Information Systems
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Accounting Technology
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Internal Auditing
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Financial Management
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Management Accounting
The online application period runs from February 1 – March 30, 2022.
The SM Technical-Vocational Scholarship
Like the SM College Scholarship, being an SM Tech-Voc Scholar would require you to meet the following criteria:
- Must pass the requirements needed by Technical-Vocational school partners; and
- Must be a high school graduate
The SM Technical Vocational Scholar includes the following:
- On the Job Internship (OJT/OJI)
- Choice of the specialization in the areas of the following:
- Automobile Mechanic
- Fitter Machinist
- Food and Beverage
- Small Arc Welding
- Electro-Mechanical Technician
- Referral to partners in the industry after the graduation
- Extra-curricular activities
- Full tuition fee subsidy in any of the partner schools
If you are interested in taking part of this scholarship, you can proceed to their website through the SM Foundation. In the website, you can download the process flowchart that you need in order for you to have knowledge of what the process is.
ONLINE APPLICATION FOR THE SCHOOL YEAR 2022-2023 OPEN FROM February 1 – March 30, 2023
Are there partner schools of the SM College Scholarship?
If you think that you can study at any school you wish to, then you would have to think again. There are specific SM partner schools that you can apply to if you meet the requirements they hold.
For you to see the list of the SM Partner Schools for the SM College Scholarship, you can click on this link.
Do you need to know more information about the SM College Scholarship Program? Are you interested in applying for this scholarship? If not, then do you know someone who might need it?
A lot of institutions are now offering scholarships for people. This is for their own benefit as well because this ensures employees in their company. So, what are you waiting for? Check your eligibility and apply for the SM College Scholarship now! Don’t miss the opportunity to be able to study again with the list of programs and courses they offer!